Thursday, October 3, 2019

First time on Emirates, first time in Dubai

By Edmund Smith-Asante

I am on my second Emirates flight headed for Beijing and all I can hear about 39,000ft up in the sky on the jumbo jet Airbus A380 – 800 is the sturdy whine of the two huge jet engines and the sound of the aircraft cutting into the cold air outside.


My first flight aboard a smaller aircraft, the Boeing 777 – 300 from the Kotoka International Airport in Accra to the Dubai International Airport ended over nine hours ago.

I had heard a lot about the Emirates Airline and prayed I would one day taste of their much talked about service, and voila! I have a double dose. Two flights in 24 hours. For the first time the instruction is not “put off all mobile phones and electronic gadgets”.

Passengers are actually allowed to put phones in flight mode just temporarily – before take-off and during landing. Once airborne and the fasten seat belt signs are off one can actually use an on air wifi – internet on air (I have not been able to log-on though the icon on my laptop says I have internet access).

Well I have had two firsts too – landing on the famed Dubai soil in the United Arab Emirates. Although there was no opportunity to go to town to see the famous Dubai city, I guess that would also happen one day.

For now, let me be content with the masterpiece of an airport. Gratefully I had to wait five hours to connect my second flight so I had all the time to not only look for my boarding gate which was like going around in a maze, but had the opportunity to feast my eyes on some beautiful things in some shops.

Well I did that from a distance since one needs a lot of cash to do some few purchases – something I couldn’t boast of. As I always believe one day it will all change.

But I must say that apart from the fact that I did not quite fancy being sandwiched on my first flight as I was in the middle, the service onboard wasn’t bad and it was a relatively smooth flight with an equally smooth landing.

Dubai from the air/sky really looks beautiful with all the lights everywhere. When we were airborne during the second flight to the Peking International Airport in Beijing, China, I couldn’t also help noticing that the city of Dubai is well laid out and compact. No space allowed to go waste. Well, I will have more to say when I get an opportunity to visit the city someday.

Double deck

The Boeing 380 – 800 jumbo jet taking us to China has an upper cabin, which means it has the capacity to take more people. Before I even check its capacity I would not hesitate to hazard a guess that it can take about 500 passengers because of its twin cabin.

This time round I got my favourite seat – at the window and we are soaring like an eagle above the clouds – it is always beautiful to behold.

One of the intriguing things I learnt was the fact that the crew come from 18 countries and speak 13 languages – who can beat that! Emirates is truly an international airline.

The Boeing 777 – 300 is likely to take over 300 passengers in its First, Business and Economy classes. Both planes seat 10 in a row – three seats at the flanks and four in the middle.

The food from Accra was on point but I noticed that the lunch served from Dubai was more like introducing the passengers to the oriental food they will be eating in Beijing. One of my first experiences on an airline too was the menu card distributed to passengers to prepare them for the meal. Quite ingenious as it will afford those who have special diets to request such meals, but that is if the cabin attendants can provide that.

(This was written on Sunday, September 15 at 11am GMT)

No comments:

Post a Comment